UK Politics

Nigel Farage’s unexplained absence fuels fresh speculation

Nigel Farage has been absent from public view for six days. The Reform UK leader cancelled a scheduled appearance at a party rally in Sunderland on the same day it emerged he was facing an inquiry by the parliamentary commissioner for standards, and since then he has offered no explanation for his disappearance. When contacted, Reform gave no response to questions about Farage’s whereabouts. The reasons initially given for cancelling the Sunderland event – “chaos in government” and an apparent impending Labour leadership race – appeared plausible at the time, but the continued absence of a politician who has in recent years seemed almost omnipresent has become increasingly conspicuous.

Farage was also nowhere to be seen on Tuesday when Reform announced Robert Kenyon, a local plumber and councillor, as its candidate for the upcoming Makerfield by-election. Instead of a rally or press conference, Kenyon’s candidacy was revealed through the party’s social media channels, with Farage posting a three‑line tweet describing Kenyon as “the plucky plumber taking on open borders Burnham”. The by-election, triggered by the resignation of Josh Simons to allow the Labour candidate, Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham, to stand, is seen as a significant contest that could offer Burnham a path to challenge for the Labour leadership. It is rumoured to take place on 18 June 2026. Farage has characterised the contest as a “David versus Goliath battle”, but his absence from the official announcement – and from public view more broadly – has raised eyebrows as the campaign gets under way.

The £5m investigation

The most likely explanation for Farage’s low profile is the investigation by the parliamentary standards watchdog into a £5 million gift he received from the crypto-billionaire Christopher Harborne. Daniel Greenberg, the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards, is looking into whether Farage breached House of Commons rules by failing to declare the payment. The money was received in early 2024, just weeks before Farage announced he would stand as a candidate in the general election. Reform sources have said the payment was made before he had decided to stand for Parliament.

Farage’s account of the gift has shifted. Initially he said it was for “personal security costs”, describing it as “purely private” and “wasn’t political in any sense at all”. He later changed that explanation, stating in an interview that the money was a “reward” for campaigning for Brexit for 27 years. He has also maintained it was an “unconditional” gift and that he had “no obligation” to declare it because it was received before he became an MP.

Under Commons rules, newly elected MPs must register financial interests and benefits received within the 12 months before their election – including gifts – within one month of taking their seat. The guidance states that “purely personal gifts” may not require disclosure, but the commissioner will have to determine whether the £5 million falls into that category. If the investigation finds a serious breach, Farage could be suspended from the Commons. A suspension of ten days or more would trigger a recall petition, potentially forcing him to fight again for his Clacton seat. Separately, the Conservative Party has referred the matter to the Electoral Commission, which is considering the complaint.

Christopher Harborne is a British-Thai billionaire businessman and cryptocurrency investor based in Thailand, where he holds Thai citizenship under the name Chakrit Sakunkrit. Educated at Westminster School and Cambridge University, with an MBA from INSEAD, he worked for McKinsey & Co. before building interests in aviation (Sherriff Global Group, AML Global) and technology, including a significant shareholding in the stablecoin issuer Tether. Harborne has been a major financial backer of Reform UK and its predecessor the Brexit Party, donating tens of millions of pounds. In 2025 he made a £9 million donation to Reform UK – described as the largest single donation by a living person to a British political party. He has also donated to the Conservative Party and gave £1 million to the Office of Boris Johnson Ltd in November 2022. He is intensely private, giving no speeches or media interviews and avoiding active social media.

Farage’s finances have come under additional scrutiny over a property purchase that appears connected to the Harborne gift. On 10 May 2024, shortly after receiving the £5 million, he bought a £1.4 million property in Surrey in cash. His spokesperson initially claimed the house was paid for with his £1.5 million fee from participating in I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! in late 2023. However, analysis of the accounts for Farage’s personal media company, Thorn in the Side Ltd, by the Financial Times suggests that money was not withdrawn from the firm at the time of the purchase. The company’s cash position increased significantly between May 2023 and May 2024, but the accounts show no dividend was paid out. Tax experts have said the accounts are “not consistent” with the claim that the TV fee was used. A Reform UK spokesperson has defended Farage, stating that the offer and purchase process for the property began before the gift from Harborne, and that Farage had passed proof‑of‑funds checks independently. They also suggested anti‑money laundering checks were completed before the gift was received.

Farage appears to own or live in five properties. His property portfolio, including two beachside homes on the Kent coast held by Thorn in the Side Ltd and an investment property in Surrey, is estimated to be worth nearly £3 million since the 2016 Brexit referendum. He also owns a family home in Downe, Kent. A house in Clacton‑on‑Sea bought in November 2024 was revealed to be in the name of his partner, Laure Ferrari. Thorn in the Side Ltd, which Farage controls, files reduced accounts as a small company, limiting public transparency on its assets and income.

This is not the first time Farage has faced scrutiny over financial declarations. In January 2026, he was found to have failed to register about $515,000 in interests on time, though the breach was deemed inadvertent and resolved without punishment.

Reform reshuffle

While Farage has remained out of sight, his party has undergone a series of internal changes. In an unexpected reshuffle this week, David Bull was replaced as party chair by Lee Anderson, the Ashfield MP. Bull will now “focus on standing at the next election”, according to a Reform press release. Separately, the role of the party’s treasurer, Charlton Edwards, as director and secretary of Reform UK Party Ltd – the corporate vehicle for the party – has been terminated. The reasons for these changes have not been elaborated upon.

Reform activists have already been canvassing the streets of Makerfield for some days, and as the by‑election campaign gathers pace it will become harder to excuse the Reform leader not being involved. For a politician who has built his career on omnipresence, six days of silence is an increasingly difficult position to sustain.

Alaric Whitcombe

Political Correspondent
Alaric Whitcombe is a political correspondent reporting from Westminster, London. He covers UK politics, parliamentary activity, government decision-making, and UK Crime, providing clear, fact-based context around legislation, policy developments, and major public-safety stories. His work focuses on factual reporting and clear explanation, helping readers follow political events without bias or speculation.
· Westminster lobby reporting, select committee analysis, court proceedings coverage
· Parliamentary debates, legislation and policy, elections, criminal justice system, policing, Crown and Magistrates' Courts

Related Articles

Back to top button