Suspect in ex-partner’s death in Bristol blast dies of explosion injuries

A man who died in a house explosion in Bristol that also killed his former partner suffered catastrophic blast injuries, an inquest has heard. Ryan Kelly, 41, was pronounced dead by paramedics at the property in Sterncourt Road at 7am on 3 May, shortly after the blast that also claimed the life of Jo Shaw, 35.
Assistant coroner Debbie Rookes opened the inquest into Mr Kelly’s death at Avon Coroner’s Court in Flax Bourton. Coroner’s officer Andrew Eastwood told the brief hearing that Mr Kelly had died as a result of an explosive device being detonated at the address. A post-mortem examination by pathologist Dr Russell Delaney gave the cause of death as blast injuries to the head, neck, torso and limbs.
Ms Rookes adjourned proceedings until 11 August 2026. No members of Mr Kelly’s family attended. “At the current time the only properly interested persons identified are the family, but that may change following receipt of further evidence,” she said.
Explosion timeline and circumstances
Avon and Somerset Police is treating the cause of the explosion as deliberate and has recorded Ms Shaw’s death as a homicide. Officers have said they are not looking for anyone else in connection with her death.
The incident began when police received a call from a person inside the house at 6.17am reporting a domestic-related incident. The caller said a man they knew had forced entry to the property. The caller remained on the line as officers were dispatched, and at 6.30am told police the man was believed to be in possession of an explosive device. About two minutes later, at approximately 6.32am, an explosion occurred, killing Ms Shaw and Mr Kelly. Officers arrived at the scene at 6.34am, with fire and ambulance services following shortly afterwards.
Neighbours reported seeing Mr Kelly arrive at the address carrying what they described as a “grenade” or explosive device. Analysis of the device is ongoing. Three other people, including a child, sustained minor injuries and were treated at the scene or taken to hospital.
Ms Shaw, a personal assistant, grew up in the Stapleton area of Bristol. Her family described her as a “devoted mum” with a “bubbly, friendly personality” who brought “warmth, kindness, and strength” into people’s lives. They said her actions in protecting her child were heroic, stating: “Joanne’s actions were nothing short of heroic. She showed extraordinary strength, selflessness, and love in the face of unimaginable fear, placing herself between danger and those she loved.” Her provisional cause of death was given as penetrating fragmentation blast injury to the chest and pelvis.
Mr Kelly had previously been convicted for his role as a “foot soldier in a Breaking Bad-style drugs gang” and had been jailed for his part in a “scuppered drugs operation”.
Ongoing inquiries
An inquest into Ms Shaw’s death was opened and adjourned on Monday, with proceedings also set to resume on 11 August 2026. The police have referred themselves to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) owing to previous domestic incidents reported involving the victims.
Residents in neighbouring properties were evacuated as a precaution after the explosion, and a cordon was put in place. A temporary rest centre was established for those affected. The cordon was later reduced, allowing most residents to return home. The Army’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit conducted searches to ensure the area was safe. Searches also took place at an address in Speedwell where Mr Kelly lived, though no evacuations were required there.
Police have confirmed the incident is not being treated as terrorism-related. The court heard that reports would be requested from Mr Kelly’s GP, the South West Ambulance Trust, the police, a final report from the pathologist and a statement from his family. “Inquiries are ongoing with the Avon and Wiltshire Partnership,” Mr Eastwood added.



